Advisory Visa for Germany

Visa for Germany

As an international student you may need a visa for Germany depending on where you come from and how long you plan to stay here. At first glance the German visa system seems complicated and bureaucratic – but don’t panic. We’ve put together the most important facts to make your visa process a piece of cake!

International students from the EU, Norway, Switzerland and certain other countries do not require a visa for entering Germany. Please consult the website of the Federal Foreign Office to find out whether your home country is one of those without a visa requirement for entering: (bitte sinnvoll verlinken)

“Essentially there are three main types of visa:
Transit visa: for stopovers at German airports
Schengen visa: for short stays of up to 90 days in a 180-day period
National visa: for stays of 3-12 months
If you are moving to Germany to study and have not yet applied for a residence permit, you will need a national visa. If you are unsure of what you need, the German government offers a handy online tool to help: (bitte sinnvoll verlinken)”

You can apply for your student visa at any German consulate. The addresses of German consulates around the world can be found here ( – bitte sinnvoll verlinken). During the application process, the visa officer will assess your commitment to study in Germany. This means that you must provide all the necessary documents as well as demonstrate your personal motivation.

“The documents you typically need are:
Completed application form
Valid passport
Two biometrical photographs
Acceptance letter of Macromedia university
Transcript of your academic record
Certificate of German language proficiency or proof that you intend on attending a language course in Germany (if studying in German)
Proof that you have sufficient funds to support yourself while living in Germany (€8,700 per year)
Certificate of your German health insurance
Declaration of authenticity of the submitted documents”

In order to receive a German study visa, you need to prove that you have sufficient funds to support yourself while living in Germany (€10,332 per year)

“There are several ways to prove that you can finance your studies:
Your parents submit proof of income and assets.
Someone residing in Germany commits to the Aliens’ Registration Office to cover the costs for you.
A security amount is paid into a blocked account.
You provide a bank guarantee.
You receive a scholarship from a recognized scholarship provider.”

Only a certain amount can be withdrawn from a blocked account each month. The immigration authorities accept a blocked account as proof of financing for foreign students. There must be enough money in the blocked account to finance the stay for one academic year.

Please make sure to take care of your health insurance status before you come to Germany. In order to study in Germany you will need to present proof of health insurance when you enroll at Macromedia and apply for a residence permit. There are health insurance companies that offer special expat tariffs, for example ottonova.

Things You Need for Every Type of Visa

Health Insurance
Please present proof of health insurance when you apply for a visa in order to study at Macromedia.
To receive a study visa you need to prove sufficient funds to support yourself while living in Germany.
Visa Paperwork
During the application process you will need to present a number of documents. Please see above for more info.
Online Events for International Students

Your direct line to the Student Advisory Service:

Service hours: 
Monday to Friday 09:00 am – 5:00 pm (CET) | Phone numbers are also for WhatsApp